It’s not a ‘stop-the-presses’ moment, but the fact that New York Islanders prospect Kirill Kabanov was late for a second time to practice is certainly lending to an already negative stereotype of the young Russian.
His ‘my game, my rules’, ‘you don’t know me, I’ll do what I want‘ attitude that significantly hindered him in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft has hockey people and internet boards buzzing about the significant attitude adjustment that needs to take place in order for Kabanov to become a successful hockey player.
But what if Kabanov’s second tardy slip wasn’t his fault?
Long Island has a population nearing 7.5 million people, the 17th most populous island in the world, yet it covers just 1,400 square miles. Surely this many people in this small of region will cause a few persons to be late from time to time.
Kabanov hasn’t been able to convince Islanders head coach Scott Gordon that his tardiness has been a simple logistics problem. Instead, the 18-year-old Russian with a history of questionable character should be persuading the third year coach he had a plethora of other reasons why he has now shown up twice for work after the bell has run.
So, in typical New York fashion, Future Considerations presents its ‘Late Show’ Top 10 List of Reasons Why Kirill Kabanov was late, yet again, to Islanders practice.
10. Still confused about the new time zone…cant figure out how long a New York minute is supposed to be.
9. Long commute to New Jersey to give hero Ilya Kovalchuk his autograph.
8. Too many hours logged onto the internet to delete embarrassing draft photos.
7. Figured if Rick Dipietro was on the payroll and didn’t have to show up for two seasons while being paid, what’s the harm in being late for camp as an unsigned prospect.
6. Is still waiting for fellow Russian Kirill Petrov to pick him up on his way to the rink.
5. Was given directions to The Lighthouse at Long Island by owner Charles Wang.
3. Too busy desperately trying to figure out what his punishment, a bag skate, actually means on HFBoards.
1. Too busy tweeting #DanEllisProblems
And the ones that didn’t make the cut…
-Spending too much time at Central Perk trying to get Ross and Rachel back together.
-Thought he was assigned to Indianapolis to retrieve Brandon Jacob’s helmet.
-His Vogue internship really clashes with the Islanders practice schedule.
-In all fairness, he is way early for the New York Knicks camp.
-Busy preparing to toss out the first pitch at the New York Mets playoff game.
Follow Future Considerations managing editor Aaron Vickers on Twitter.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment